The Building Services Supervisor (BSS) is (comparable to a leading hand tradesperson) a working supervisor. The BSS co-ordinates the on-site activities of a small group of multi-skilled trades personnel engaged in all operational aspects of the station buildings and infrastructure such as:
- water production
- power generation
- planned preventative and reactive maintenance needs of the buildings, infrastructure and services.
BSSs are employed in winter jobs at Casey, Davis, Mawson and Macquarie Island stations. Summer jobs may be available when required.
Important Note: You must also apply for and be found suitable in your trade (carpenter, electrician, plumber, boilermaker/welder, etc.). If you do not complete an application for your trade, your application for BSS will not be assessed.
The Australian Antarctic Program’s (AAP) vision is to ensure Antarctica is valued, protected and understood. Working with the AAP provides a unique opportunity to experience Antarctica and the Southern Ocean, while supporting world-leading science.
The AAP aims to support expeditioner growth, professionally and personally, with a focus on wellbeing. We strive to employ versatile, proactive and community minded people. Expeditioners will need to contribute to a small team and be resilient as they face the challenges of living in an isolated environment.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the job description document and link to more information on the application process below.
- The annual base salary (while in Australia) is $83,375 per annum ($3,196 per fortnight before tax).
- Additional allowances totalling $63,437 per annum are payable while working in Antarctica.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
For general enquiries, please use our contact form to speak to the Recruitment team.
For job specific (technical or trade related) enquiries, or to discuss the role in more detail, please contact the technical supervisor Mark Pekin on (03) 6232 3230.
You must be an Australian citizen, Australian resident with work rights in Australia, or a New Zealand citizen. Please note: Jobs requiring a security clearance are only open to Australian citizens. Applications from persons who are not Australian citizens will usually only be considered where there are no suitable Australian applicants.
To apply for this role you must have the skills and licences listed below.
Be found suitable, for a relevant trade job with Australia’s Antarctic Program (carpenter, electrician, plumber, boilermaker/welder, rigger, and/or fitter and turner).
Qualifications/licences (provide copies in your application):
- A suitable trade qualification such as carpenter, electrician, plumber, boilermaker/welder, rigger, and/or fitter and turner.
- A current, unrestricted "C" class (manual) Australian driver's licence.
Recent hands-on experience (within the last 5 years):
- Leading, supervising and working as a member of a multi-disciplined trade team.
- Undertaking work in your relevant trade (carpenter, electrician, plumber, boiler maker/welder, etc).