As a Station Communications Technical Officer, you will carry out routine and complex telecommunications maintenance. You will also make repairs and operate communications equipment. You may install or assist with the installation of complex telecommunications systems.
Station Communications Technical Officers are employed in winter jobs at Casey, Davis, Mawson and Macquarie Island. Summer or shorter winter jobs may become available.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the job description and general information for applicants documents below.
- The annual base salary (while in Australia) is $88,501 per annum ($3393 per fortnight before tax).
- Additional allowances totalling $60,974 per annum are payable while working in Antarctica.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
For job specific (technical or trade related) enquiries, or to discuss the role in more detail, please contact the technical supervisor Sangeeta Lall (03) 6232 3420.
Applications from persons who are not Australian citizens will usually only be considered where there are no suitable Australian applicants.
Successful applicants for this position will be required to obtain a security clearance.
To apply for this role you must have the skills and licences listed below:
Qualifications/licences (provide copies in your application):
- An Open Cabling Licence with optical, coax and structured (O, C & S) endorsements.
- A relevant Associate Degree, Diploma or comparable qualification.
- A Certificate of Competency in Perform Inspection (MEM15004B).
- A current, unrestricted “C” class (manual) Australian driver’s licence.
Skills and experience (within the last 5 years):
- Maintenance of satellite communications systems and equipment, or other microwave communications systems.
- Installation, maintenance and repair of HF and VHF radio equipment and systems, including masts, antennas and associated cabling/feeder systems.
- Maintenance and repair of electronic equipment, including to component level.