As a Refrigeration Mechanic you will be part of the team which maintains and develops the Australian stations on the Antarctic continent and at Macquarie Island. You will install and maintain station domestic and commercial refrigeration plant as well as assisting with general maintenance and construction as required.
Refrigeration Mechanics generally work in summer jobs only, with the station location dependent on requirements. Winter jobs are occasionally available when required for a specific project.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the job description and general information for applicants documents below.
- The annual base salary (while in Australia) is $66,319 per annum ($2542 per fortnight before tax).
- Additional allowances totalling $60,974 per annum are payable while working in Antarctica.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
For job specific (technical or trade related) enquiries, or to discuss the role in more detail, please contact the technical supervisor Ash Pym (03) 6232 3682.
Applications from persons who are not Australian citizens will usually only be considered where there are no suitable Australian applicants.
To apply for this role you must have the skills and licences listed below:
Qualifications/licences (provide copies in your application):
- A suitable trade certificate, technical certificate, apprenticeship or recognised equivalent as a Refrigeration Mechanic.
- A current Australian Refrigeration Council full registration and air conditioning licence.
- A White Card (issued after May 2009).
- A current, unrestricted “C” class (manual) Australian driver’s licence.
Broad general experience within the refrigeration mechanic trade (usually at least 5 years post-apprenticeship).