As a Refrigeration Mechanic you will be part of the team which maintains and develops the Australian stations on the Antarctic continent and at Macquarie Island. You will install and maintain station domestic and commercial refrigeration plant as well as assisting with general maintenance and construction as required.
Refrigeration Mechanics generally work in summer jobs only, with the station location dependent on requirements. Winter jobs are occasionally available when required for a specific project.
The Australian Antarctic Program’s (AAP) vision is to ensure Antarctica is valued, protected and understood. Working with the AAP provides a unique opportunity to experience Antarctica and the Southern Ocean, while supporting world-leading science.
The AAP aims to support expeditioner growth, professionally and personally, with a focus on wellbeing. We strive to employ versatile, proactive and community minded people. Expeditioners will need to contribute to a small team and be resilient as they face the challenges of living in an isolated environment.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the job description document and link to more information on the application process below.
- The annual base salary (while in Australia) is $71,068 per annum ($2,724 per fortnight before tax).
- Additional allowances totalling $65,341 per annum are payable while working in Antarctica.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
For general enquiries, please use our contact form to speak to the Expeditioner Resourcing team.
For job specific (technical or trade related) enquiries, or to discuss the role in more detail, please contact the technical supervisor Ash Pym (03) 6232 3682 (until 24 December 2022), then Lisa Wilkinson (03) 6232 3335.
You must be an Australian citizen, Australian resident with work rights in Australia, or a New Zealand citizen. Please note: Jobs requiring a security clearance are only open to Australian citizens. Applications from persons who are not Australian citizens will usually only be considered where there are no suitable Australian applicants.
To apply for this role you must have the skills and licences listed below:
Qualifications/licences (provide copies in your application):
- A suitable trade certificate, technical certificate, apprenticeship or recognised equivalent as a Refrigeration Mechanic.
- A current Australian Refrigeration Council full registration and air conditioning licence.
- A White Card (issued after May 2009), or the ability to attain prior to commencement
- A current, unrestricted “C” class (manual) Australian driver’s licence.
Broad general experience within the refrigeration mechanic trade (3 years post trade)