As a Mechanic you will maintain and operate a range of mechanical plant and equipment. You will also maintain and operate the station power generation facilities (mechanical side). You will support station and field operations as required.
Mechanics work in either summer or winter jobs. Shorter winter opportunities may also arise. Mechanics are only employed at Casey, Davis and Mawson stations. If staying on station as part of the wintering crew you are required to participate in an on-call roster, to respond to out of hours issues – mainly related to the station powerhouse.
A Station Mechanical Supervisor equivalent Mechanic for Macquarie Island and a Wilkins Aerodrome Diesel Mechanic will be selected from suitable Mechanic and/or Station Mechanical Supervisor applicants. Overland Traverse Mechanics will be selected from suitable Mechanic applicants.
The Australian Antarctic Program’s (AAP) vision is to ensure Antarctica is valued, protected and understood. Working with the AAP provides a unique opportunity to experience Antarctica and the Southern Ocean, while supporting world-leading science.
The AAP aims to support expeditioner growth, professionally and personally, with a focus on wellbeing. We strive to employ versatile, proactive and community minded people. Expeditioners will need to contribute to a small team and be resilient as they face the challenges of living in an isolated environment.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the job description document and link to more information on the application process below.
- The annual base salary (while in Australia) is $77,477 per annum ($2,970 per fortnight before tax).
- Additional allowances totalling $63,437 per annum are payable while working in Antarctica.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
For general enquiries, please use our contact form to speak to the Recruitment team.
For job specific (technical or trade related) enquiries, or to discuss the role in more detail, please contact the technical supervisor Cameron Frost (03) 6232 3219.
You must be an Australian citizen, Australian resident with work rights in Australia, or a New Zealand citizen. Please note: Jobs requiring a security clearance are only open to Australian citizens. Applications from persons who are not Australian citizens will usually only be considered where there are no suitable Australian applicants.
To apply for this role you must have the skills and licences listed below:
Qualifications/licences (provide copies in your application):
- A suitable mechanical trade, certificate III MEM or AUR qualification or recognised equivalent such as motor mechanic, diesel mechanic, plant mechanic, fitter and turner, or auto electrician.
- A Forklift (High Risk) Licence, or the ability to attain prior to commencement
- A current, unrestricted “C” class (manual) Australian driver’s licence.
Recent hands-on experience (within the last 5 years):
- Diesel engine maintenance, diagnostics, repair, and overhaul (such as Caterpillar, Cummins, electronic and non-electronic).
- Maintenance and repair of heavy plant, including tracked, wheeled and stationary equipment (such as Cat loaders, tractors and excavators, Grove cranes, Komatsu crushers).