As the Chef you will be responsible for station cooking and catering, food safety and kitchen hygiene, control of all foodstuffs and consumables, and for re-ordering of foodstuffs and consumables for the succeeding expedition.
Additionally, the Chef assigned to Casey station will be required to be available to relieve the Wilkins Aerodrome Camp Support Officer (ACSO) at times throughout the flying season. Duties whilst at Wilkins Aerodrome can be found under the job description for the ACSO.
Chefs can be employed in either summer or winter jobs; shorter winter opportunities may also arise. Chefs are employed at all three Antarctic stations as well as Macquarie Island.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the ‘How to apply’ section below.
- The annual base salary (while in Australia) is $65,019 per annum ($2493 per fortnight before tax).
- Additional allowances totalling $59,778 per annum are payable while working in Antarctica.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
To discuss your application, please ring 1800 030 755 for general information or contact Noel Tennant on (03) 6232 3119 for position specific matters.
To be eligible for consideration you must be either an Australian citizen, a New Zealand citizen, or a resident of Australia with a valid visa granting appropriate work rights in Australia.
How to apply
- Read General information for applicants. This is an overview of the recruitment and selection process.
- Review the job description. This describes the job and specifies essential qualifications and experience. It also tells you what documents you need to attach to your application.
- Have your documents ready to attach (eg licences, qualifications and current CV/résumé). You must include these to be considered for the job.
- When you have completed steps 1 to 3 above, click ‘Apply Now’ to start your application.