As a Chef, you will be responsible for Station cooking and catering, food safety and kitchen hygiene, control of all foodstuffs and consumables, and for contributing to re-ordering of foodstuffs and consumables for the succeeding expedition. Additionally, the Chef assigned to Casey station will be required to be available to relieve the Wilkins Aerodrome Chef at times throughout the flying season. Duties whilst at Wilkins Aerodrome can be found under the job description for the Aerodrome Chef on the Australian Antarctic Division website.
Chefs can be employed in either summer or winter jobs; shorter winter opportunities may also arise. Chefs are employed at all three Antarctic stations as well as Macquarie Island.
The Australian Antarctic Program’s (AAP) vision is to ensure Antarctica is valued, protected and understood. Working with the AAP provides a unique opportunity to experience Antarctica and the Southern Ocean, while supporting world-leading science.
The AAP aims to support expeditioner growth, professionally and personally, with a focus on wellbeing. We strive to employ versatile, proactive and community minded people. Expeditioners will need to contribute to a small team and be resilient as they face the challenges of living in an isolated environment.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the job description document and link to more information on the application process below.
- The annual base salary (while in Australia) is $79,801 per annum ($3,059 per fortnight before tax).
- Additional allowances totalling $65,341 per annum are payable while working in Antarctica.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
For general enquiries, please use our contact form to speak to the Expeditioner Resourcing team.
For job specific (technical or trade related) enquiries, or to discuss the role in more detail, please contact the technical supervisor Noel Tennant via email firstname.lastname@example.org
You must be an Australian citizen, Australian resident with work rights in Australia, or a New Zealand citizen. Please note: Jobs requiring a security clearance are only open to Australian citizens. Applications from persons who are not Australian citizens will usually only be considered where there are no suitable Australian applicants.
Recent hands-on experience (within the last 5 years):
- At least 5 years’ experience post apprenticeship
Qualifications/licences (provide copies in your application):
- Completed indentured apprenticeship (or equivalent).
- A current, unrestricted “C” class (manual) Australian driver’s licence