As an Aerodrome Plant Operator (APO), you will be part of a small team, which will require you to operate a wide range of heavy and light machinery, in the construction, maintenance and operation of Wilkins Aerodrome, along with servicing the needs of Ground support requirements for a wide range of Aircraft. There are a number of hands on APO roles, which are employed in either summer or winter jobs.
The Australian Antarctic Program’s (AAP) vision is to ensure Antarctica is valued, protected and understood. Working with the AAP provides a unique opportunity to experience Antarctica and the Southern Ocean, while supporting world-leading science.
The AAP aims to support expeditioner growth, professionally and personally, with a focus on wellbeing. We strive to employ versatile, proactive and community minded people. Expeditioners will need to contribute to a small team and be resilient as they face the challenges of living in an isolated environment.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the job description document and link to more information on the application process below.
- The annual base salary (while in Australia) is $68,998 per annum ($2,645 per fortnight before tax).
- Additional allowances totalling $63,437 per annum are payable while working in Antarctica.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
For general enquiries, please use our contact form to speak to the Expeditioner Resourcing team.
You must be an Australian citizen, Australian resident with work rights in Australia, or a New Zealand citizen. Please note: Jobs requiring a security clearance are only open to Australian citizens. Applications from persons who are not Australian citizens will usually only be considered where there are no suitable Australian applicants.
To apply for this role you must have the skills and licences listed below.
Qualifications/licences (provide copies in your application):
- A valid, unrestricted Heavy Rigid (HR) licence.
- A current Statement of Attainment to operate a front end loader (LL).
Recent hands-on experience (within the last 5 years):
- Demonstrated experience in the operation of mobile plant/equipment, in the following fields: agricultural, snowfield, civil construction or mining environment or similar.