As Winter Wilkins Aerodrome Manager, you will be responsible for the on-site management of Wilkins Certified Aerodrome, in particular the pack up and reinstatement of the Aerodrome to an operational level. This includes but is not limited to the Aerodrome equipment and Wilkins camp infrastructure. This is a hands-on role which requires a good level of skill and experience in mobile plant operation coupled with excellent leadership and problem solving skills.
The Winter Wilkins Aerodrome Manager is a winter only position. You will be located at Casey Station for most of the winter period where you will have direct supervision of aviation staff, reporting directly to the Station Leader.
The Australian Antarctic Program’s (AAP) vision is to ensure Antarctica is valued, protected and understood. Working with the AAP provides a unique opportunity to experience Antarctica and the Southern Ocean, while supporting world-leading science.
The AAP aims to support expeditioner growth, professionally and personally, with a focus on wellbeing. We strive to employ versatile, proactive and community minded people. Expeditioners will need to contribute to a small team and be resilient as they face the challenges of living in an isolated environment.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the job description document and link to more information on the application process below.
- The annual base salary (while in Australia) is $107,778 per annum ($4,132 per fortnight before tax).
- Additional allowances totalling $65,341 per annum are payable while working in Antarctica.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
For general enquiries, please use our contact form to speak to the Expeditioner Resourcing team.
You must be an Australian citizen, Australian resident with work rights in Australia, or a New Zealand citizen. Please note: Jobs requiring a security clearance are only open to Australian citizens. Applications from persons who are not Australian citizens will usually only be considered where there are no suitable Australian applicants.
To apply for this role you must have the skills and licenses listed below:
Qualifications/licences (provide copies in your application):
- A valid, unrestricted Heavy Rigid (HR) licence
- A current Statement of Attainment to operate a front end loader (LL)
Recent hands-on experience (within the last 5 years):
- Experience and current capability in the operation of relevant plant
- Sound knowledge of maintaining a heavy and light equipment fleet
- Relevant construction, project or operations experience
- Ability to work under time pressure with a flexible approach to working hours
- Previous supervisory/leadership experience
- Note: Aviation winter over staff and are required to open Wilkins at the end of winter each season. Each winter over staff member must have at least 3 months operating at Wilkins during the summer months within the last 3 years.