As a Boilermaker/Welder you will safely operate metal working machinery and welding bays. You will assist in the erection, cladding and fit out of new buildings and maintenance of existing infrastructure.
Boilermaker/Welders are employed in summer jobs. Winter positions may be available when required for a specific project.
The Australian Antarctic Program’s (AAP) vision is to ensure Antarctica is valued, protected and understood. Working with the AAP provides a unique opportunity to experience Antarctica and the Southern Ocean, while supporting world-leading science.
The AAP aims to support expeditioner growth, professionally and personally, with a focus on wellbeing. We strive to employ versatile, proactive and community minded people. Expeditioners will need to contribute to a small team and be resilient as they face the challenges of living in an isolated environment.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the job description document and link to more information on the application process below.
- The annual base salary (while in Australia) is $77,747 per annum ($2,970 per fortnight before tax).
- Additional allowances totalling $63,437 per annum are payable while working in Antarctica.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
For general enquiries, please contact our outsourced recruitment provider Hays on our contact form.
For job specific (technical or trade related) enquiries, or to discuss the role in more detail, please contact the technical supervisor Ken Barrett on (03) 6232 3607.
You must be an Australian citizen, Australian resident with work rights in Australia, or a New Zealand citizen. Please note: Jobs requiring a security clearance are only open to Australian citizens. Applications from persons who are not Australian citizens will usually only be considered where there are no suitable Australian applicants.
To apply for this role if you must have the skills and licences listed below.
Qualifications/licences (provide copies in your application):
- A suitable trade certificate, technical certificate, apprenticeship or recognised equivalent as Boilermaker/Welder.
- A White Card (issued after May 2009), or the ability to attain prior to commencement.
- A current, unrestricted “C” class (manual) Australian driver’s licence.
Recent hands-on experience (within the last 5 years):
- Metal fabrication and repairs involving a wide range of materials varying from low temperature carbon steel to stainless steel, incorporating the appropriate best work practices and procedures.
- MIG, TIG, aluminium, stainless steel and hardox welding.
- Experience in the building construction industry.
- Structural steel erection techniques.
Broad general experience within the trade (usually at least 5 years post trade).