As an Electrician you will install, operate and maintain a station's primary diesel generation power source. You will work on electrical reticulation systems, including all refrigeration plant, the building monitoring and control system (BMCS) and the automatic fire detection/alarm systems. You will operate and maintain SCADA systems for complex plant. This may include reverse osmosis units, a waste water treatment plant and wind turbines. You will also assist other trades as required.
Electricians work in summer or winter jobs. Shorter winter opportunities may also arise. There are Electricians at all 3 Antarctic stations as well as Macquarie Island.
The Australian Antarctic Program’s (AAP) vision is to ensure Antarctica is valued, protected and understood. Working with the AAP provides a unique opportunity to experience Antarctica and the Southern Ocean, while supporting world-leading science.
The AAP aims to support expeditioner growth, professionally and personally, with a focus on wellbeing. We strive to employ versatile, proactive and community minded people. Expeditioners will need to contribute to a small team and be resilient as they face the challenges of living in an isolated environment.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the job description document and link to more information on the application process below.
- The annual base salary (while in Australia) for Electrician/Instrument Electrician is $79,801 per annum ($3,059 per fortnight before tax).
- Additional allowances totalling $65,341 per annum are payable while working in Antarctica.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
For general enquiries, please use our contact form to speak to the Expeditioner Resourcing team.
For job specific (technical or trade related) enquiries, or to discuss the role in more detail, please contact the technical supervisor Ash Pym (03) 6232 3682 (until 24 December 2022), then Lisa Wilkinson (03) 6232 3335.
You must be an Australian citizen, Australian resident with work rights in Australia, or a New Zealand citizen. Please note: Jobs requiring a security clearance are only open to Australian citizens. Applications from persons who are not Australian citizens will usually only be considered where there are no suitable Australian applicants.
To apply for this role you must have the skills and licences listed below:
Qualifications/licences (provide copies in your application):
- A current, unrestricted electrical worker’s licence which qualifies you to undertake electrical work in Australia.
- A White Card (issued after May 2009) or the ability to obtain prior to commencement.
- A current, unrestricted “C” class (manual) Australian driver’s licence.
Broad general experience within the electrical trade (usually at least 3 years post-trade).