Electrician / Instrument Electrician
As an Electrician you will install, operate and maintain a station's primary diesel generation power source. You will work on electrical reticulation systems, including all refrigeration plant, the building monitoring and control system (BMCS) and the automatic fire detection/alarm systems. You will also assist other trades as required.
An Instrument Electrician installs, tunes and maintains instrumentation and SCADA systems for complex plant. This may include reverse osmosis units, a waste water treatment plant and wind turbines.
Electricians work in summer or winter jobs. Shorter winter opportunities may also arise. There are Electricians at all three Antarctic stations as well as Macquarie Island.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the ‘How to apply’ section below.
- The annual base salary (while in Australia) for Electrician is $65,019 per annum ($2493 per fortnight before tax).
- The annual base salary (while in Australia) for Instrument Electrician is $73,009 per annum ($2799 per fortnight before tax).
- Additional allowances totalling $59,778 per annum are payable while working in Antarctica.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
For job specific (technical or trade related) enquiries, or to discuss the role in more detail, please contact the technical supervisor Andrew Plumridge (03) 6232 3234.
To be eligible for consideration you must be either an Australian citizen, a New Zealand citizen, or a resident of Australia with a valid visa granting appropriate work rights in Australia.
How to apply
- Read General information for applicants. This is an overview of the recruitment and selection process.
- Review the job description. This describes the job and specifies essential qualifications and experience. It also tells you what documents you need to attach to your application.
- Have your documents ready to attach (eg licences, qualifications and current CV/résumé). You must include these to be considered for the job.
- When you have completed steps 1 to 3 above, click ‘Apply Now’ to start your application.