The Australian Antarctic Division (AAD) employs a number of Engineering Services Supervisors (ESS) to project manage and supervise the safe undertaking of all on-site activities carried out by a group of trades personnel over the Antarctic summer and/or winter period. The ESS personnel are supported by a team of Engineers, Technical and Administrative support within the Infrastructure group at the Division’s head office.
Your priority as the ESS is to ensure all works are carried out in a safe and appropriate manner.
The Australian Antarctic Program’s (AAP) vision is to ensure Antarctica is valued, protected and understood. Working with the AAP provides a unique opportunity to experience Antarctica and the Southern Ocean, while supporting world-leading science.
The AAP aims to support expeditioner growth, professionally and personally, with a focus on wellbeing. We strive to employ versatile, proactive and community minded people. Expeditioners will need to contribute to a small team and be resilient as they face the challenges of living in an isolated environment.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the job description document and link to more information on the application process below.
- The annual base salary (while in Australia) is $104,639 per annum.
- Additional allowances totalling $63,437 per annum are payable while working in Antarctica.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
For general enquiries, please use our contact form to speak to the Recruitment team.
For job specific (technical or trade related) enquiries, or to discuss the role in more detail, please contact the technical supervisor Mark Pekin on (03) 6232 3230.
You must be an Australian citizen, Australian resident with work rights in Australia, or a New Zealand citizen. Please note: Jobs requiring a security clearance are only open to Australian citizens. Applications from persons who are not Australian citizens will usually only be considered where there are no suitable Australian applicants.
To apply for this role you must have the skills and licences listed below:
Qualifications/licences (provide copies in your application):
- A relevant engineering degree from an Australian tertiary institution, or a comparable overseas institution, or a relevant engineering, trade or technical certificate and demonstrated equivalent experience.
- A White Card (issued after May 2009) prior to your employment.
- A current, unrestricted “C” class (manual) Australian driver’s licence.
Current or recent (within the last 5 years) on-site supervisory and managerial experience relating to construction and/or maintenance activities in the building or general construction industry.