As a Rigger you will be part of the team which maintains and develops the Australian stations on the Antarctic continent and at Macquarie Island. Your responsibilities will include the safe operation working with cranes and other plant, assisting in the erection, cladding and fit out of new buildings as well as assisting in the maintenance of the existing infrastructure.
Rigger positions are generally only available for the Antarctic summer period as approximately six months contracts, with one month in Australia and five months at a station. Winter positions are occasionally available when required for a specific project.
The Australian Antarctic Program’s (AAP) vision is to ensure Antarctica is valued, protected and understood. Working with the AAP provides a unique opportunity to experience Antarctica and the Southern Ocean, while supporting world-leading science.
The AAP aims to support expeditioner growth, professionally and personally, with a focus on wellbeing. We strive to employ versatile, proactive and community minded people. Expeditioners will need to contribute to a small team and be resilient as they face the challenges of living in an isolated environment.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the job description document and link to more information on the application process below.
- The annual base salary (while in Australia) is $71,068 per annum ($2,724 per fortnight before tax).
- Additional allowances totalling $65,341 per annum are payable while working in Antarctica.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
For general enquiries, please use our contact form to speak to the Expeditioner Resourcing team.
For job specific (technical or trade related) enquiries, or to discuss the role in more detail, please contact the technical supervisor Ken Barrett (03) 6232 3607.
You must be an Australian citizen, Australian resident with work rights in Australia, or a New Zealand citizen. Please note: Jobs requiring a security clearance are only open to Australian citizens. Applications from persons who are not Australian citizens will usually only be considered where there are no suitable Australian applicants.
To apply for this role you must have the skills and licences listed below:
Qualifications/licences (provide copies in your application):
- A current, valid licence to perform rigging (intermediate level)
- A White Card (issued after May 2009).
- A current, unrestricted “C” class (manual) Australian driver’s licence.
Rigging at a minimum of intermediate level including structural steel erection and pre-cast concrete placement with at least five years experience