As an Expedition Mechanic you will maintain and operate a range of mechanical plant and equipment. You will also maintain and operate the station power generation facilities (mechanical side). You will support station and field operations as required.
Expedition Mechanics work in either summer or winter jobs. Shorter winter opportunities may also arise. Expedition Mechanics are only employed at Casey, Davis and Mawson stations.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the job description and general information for applicants documents below.
- The annual base salary (while in Australia) is $66,319 per annum ($2542 per fortnight before tax).
- Additional allowances totalling $60,974 per annum are payable while working in Antarctica.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
For job specific (technical or trade related) enquiries, or to discuss the role in more detail, please contact the technical supervisor Cameron Frost (03) 6232 3219.
To be eligible for consideration you must be either an Australian citizen, a New Zealand citizen, or a resident of Australia with a valid visa granting appropriate work rights in Australia.
To apply for this role you must have the skills and licences listed below:
Qualifications/licences (provide copies in your application):
- A suitable mechanical trade, certificate III MEM or AUR qualification or recognised equivalent such as motor mechanic, diesel mechanic, plant mechanic, fitter and turner, or auto electrician.
- A current, unrestricted “C” class (manual) Australian driver’s licence.
Recent hands-on experience (within the last 5 years):
- Diesel engine maintenance, diagnostics, repair, and overhaul (such as Caterpillar, Cummins, electronic and non-electronic).
- Maintenance and repair of heavy plant, including tracked, wheeled and stationary equipment (such as Cat loaders, tractors and excavators, Grove cranes, Komatsu crushers).