As a Mobile Crane Operator, you will primarily operate station mobile cranes to support infrastructure maintenance and construction activities and cargo resupply of station. Depending on experience and other competencies you may also operate a range of other plant and equipment used for construction and maintenance activities. The AAD has a fleet of Grove rough terrain mobile cranes at stations including RT540, RT550 and GRT655.
Mobile Crane Operator is mostly a summer job although may occasionally be required over the winter season.
Mobile Crane Operators are employed at Casey, Davis, Mawson and also as round trip support for individual voyages.
The Australian Antarctic Program’s (AAP) vision is to ensure Antarctica is valued, protected and understood. Working with the AAP provides a unique opportunity to experience Antarctica and the Southern Ocean, while supporting world-leading science.
The AAP aims to support expeditioner growth, professionally and personally, with a focus on wellbeing. We strive to employ versatile, proactive and community minded people. Expeditioners will need to contribute to a small team and be resilient as they face the challenges of living in an isolated environment.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the job description document and link to more information on the application process below.
- The annual base salary when in Australia starts from $71,068 per annum.
- Base salary + additional allowances when in Antarctica starts from $136,409 per annum.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
For general enquiries, please use our contact form to speak to the Expeditioner Resourcing team.
For job specific (technical or trade related) enquiries, or to discuss the role in more detail, please contact the technical supervisor Cameron Frost (03) 6232 3219.
You must be an Australian citizen, Australian resident with work rights in Australia, or a New Zealand citizen. Please note: Jobs requiring a security clearance are only open to Australian citizens. Applications from persons who are not Australian citizens will usually only be considered where there are no suitable Australian applicants.
To apply for this role you must have the skills and licences listed below:
Qualifications/licences (provide copies in your application):
- A White Card (issued after May 2009), or the ability to attain prior to commencement.
- A valid, unrestricted Heavy Rigid (HR) licence.
- A valid High Risk Work Licence – C6 (minimum)
Recent hands-on experience (within the last 5 years):
- Mobile crane operation experience.