As a Station Mechanical Supervisor you will manage the station mechanical section's operations. You will be responsible for:
- the effective operation and mechanical maintenance of power houses
- the maintenance of mobile and stationary mechanical plant
- the management of fuel farms and other fuel and lube storage
- the management of the mechanical workshop
- the management of mechanical spares and consumable stock, and
- the endorsement of expeditioners to operate vehicles and mechanical plant.
As well as management and supervision, you will perform mechanical work and operate equipment as part of the mechanical team.
Station Mechanical Supervisors work in winter jobs at Casey, Davis and Mawson stations.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the job description and general information for applicants documents below.
- The annual base salary (while in Australia) is $80,137 per annum ($3072 per fortnight before tax).
- Additional allowances totalling $60,974 per annum are payable while working in Antarctica.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
For job specific (technical or trade related) enquiries, or to discuss the role in more detail, please contact the technical supervisor Cameron Frost (03) 6232 3219.
Applications from persons who are not Australian citizens will usually only be considered where there are no suitable Australian applicants.
To apply for this role you must have the skills and licences listed below:
Qualifications/licences (provide copies in your application):
- A suitable mechanical trade, certificate III MEM or AUR qualification or recognised equivalent such as motor mechanic, diesel mechanic, plant mechanic, fitter and turner, or auto electrician.
- A current, unrestricted “C” class (manual) Australian driver’s licence.
Recent experience (within the last 5 years):
- Diesel engine maintenance, diagnostics, repair, and overhaul (such as Caterpillar, Cummins, electronic and non-electronic).
- Maintenance and repair of heavy plant, including tracked, wheeled and stationary equipment (such as Cat loaders, tractors and excavators, Grove cranes, Komatsu crushers).
- Managing plant and equipment and workshop facilities and/or supervision of a mechanical trades team.