As a Station Leader on one of Australia’s Antarctic stations (including Macquarie Island) you will lead a diverse team of multi-skilled expeditioners on a wide range of exciting science, infrastructure and logistics programs in one of the most remote, isolated and beautiful places on the planet.
The Australian Antarctic Division’s (AAD) stations provide the infrastructure and operational support capability to undertake Australia's Antarctic land based program for all participating agencies. You are responsible for ensuring that programs receive the necessary support to meet the goals for the Australian Antarctic Program.
Employment arrangements with the AAD may be flexible and could be for a full winter season (12–15 months) or for a shorter season (6–8 months). Please be aware that a shorter employment period may affect the total of the remuneration package.
Suitable candidates will be included in a pool of candidates who may be considered for engagement/employment as a Station Leader in respect of one or more Antarctic seasons over a period extending from the 2018/19 season through until 2020/21, subject to:
- medical fitness for duty in Antarctica — this may include comprehensive drug screening for compliance to undertake Safety Sensitive Aviation Activities (SSAA)
- psychological suitability
- appropriate personal attributes — consistent with the Antarctic Service Code of Personal Behaviour
- performance standards
- security clearance.
As a successful candidate you may also be offered an opportunity to participate in an Antarctic voyage or Antarctic station familiarisation that may require between four and eight weeks of employment with the AAD during the 2018/19 season.
A final decision to assign an applicant to a Station Leadership role will also take into account performance during any familiarisation trip.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the ‘How to apply’ section below.
- The annual base salary (while in Australia) is $125,083 to $132,668 per annum ($4795 to $5086 per fortnight before tax).
- Additional allowances totalling $59,778 per annum are payable while working in Antarctica.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
This role is currently not open for applications. Please ring 1800 030 755 for general information.
Successful applicants for this position will be required to obtain a security clearance. Due to the timeframe involved, non-Australian citizens are unlikely to be considered for appointment to this position.
How to apply
- Read General information for applicants. This is an overview of the recruitment and selection process.
- Review the job description. This describes the job and specifies essential qualifications and experience. It also tells you what documents you need to attach to your application.
- Have your documents ready to attach (eg licences, qualifications and current CV/résumé). You must include these to be considered for the job.
- When you have completed steps 1 to 3 above, click ‘Apply Now’✱ to start your application.