Field Training Officer
As a Field Training Officer (FTO) you are responsible for the planning, scheduling and delivery of Antarctic and sub-Antarctic field training. You will lead and provide support to groups working in the field. You will coordinate field safety and the development of station search and rescue capabilities.
FTOs are employed in summer jobs at all stations. Senior FTOs are selected from suitable FTO candidates for summer and/or winter jobs. Senior FTOs employed in winter jobs are also responsible for managing station stores over the winter season.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the ‘How to apply’ section below.
- The annual base salary (while in Australia) is $80,137 per annum ($3072 per fortnight before tax).
- Additional allowances totalling $60,974 per annum are payable while working in Antarctica.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
For job specific (technical or trade related) enquiries, or to discuss the role in more detail, please contact the technical supervisor Chris Gallagher via email firstname.lastname@example.org — please allow a few days for a response.
To be eligible for consideration you must be either an Australian citizen, a New Zealand citizen, or a resident of Australia with a valid visa granting appropriate work rights in Australia.
How to apply
- Read General information for applicants. This is an overview of the recruitment and selection process.
- Review the job description. This describes the job and specifies essential qualifications and experience. It also tells you what documents you need to attach to your application.
- Have your documents ready to attach (eg licences, qualifications and current CV/résumé). You must include these to be considered for the job.
- When you have completed steps 1 to 3 above, click ‘Apply Now’✱ to start your application.