This role is not open for recruitment for season 2024/25. Please register your interest for the following season.
The Station Support Officer positions are based at Casey and Davis Stations in Antarctica for the duration of the Summer Season and are responsible for providing general kitchen support and hotel housekeeping duties and related support tasks at an Antarctic station.
The Australian Antarctic Program’s (AAP) vision is to ensure Antarctica is valued, protected and understood. Working with the AAP provides a unique opportunity to experience Antarctica and the Southern Ocean, while supporting world-leading science.
The AAP aims to support expeditioner growth, professionally and personally, with a focus on wellbeing. We strive to employ versatile, proactive and community minded people. Expeditioners will need to contribute to a small team and be resilient as they face the challenges of living in an isolated environment.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the job description document and link to more information on the application process below.
- The annual base salary when in Australia starts from $71,068 per annum
- Base salary + additional allowances when in Antarctica starts from $136,409 per annum.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
In accordance with the PS Act 1999, APS employees are required to be Australian citizens. Persons who are not Australian citizens will generally only be considered where there are no suitable Australian applicants, with next considerations being Australian residents with work rights and New Zealand citizens
To apply for this role you must have the skills and licences listed below:
Qualifications/licences (provide copies in your application):
- Valid passport when travelling to the Antarctic or sub-Antarctic. The expiry date of the passport (and any relevant visa) must be at least 6 months beyond the planned end date of your intended stay in the Antarctic or sub-Antarctic.
- A current statement of attainment in the following units of first aid, or the ability to attain prior to commencement:
- Provide First Aid (HLTAID0011) must be valid for at least 18 months beyond the date of AAD commencement.
- Provide CPR (HLTAID009) must be valid for at least 6 months beyond the date of AAD commencement.
Recent hands-on experience (within the last 3 years):
- Demonstrated experience in cleaning or janitorial work in an accommodation facility (for example field camp, cruise ship, hotel housekeeping), and/or
- Demonstrated experience in a commercial or industrial kitchen (including basic food preparation, cleaning of kitchen area including doors, floors, equipment, cleaning of industrial cookware, crockery, mess facilities, and sanitisation of common areas).
- Demonstrated experience working under a work, health and safety system.
- Proven customer service experience and skills.
For general enquiries, please email the Hays Expeditioner Recruitment Team at email@example.com.