As an Information Technology Officer (ITO) you will provide information and communications technology (ICT) support services on station. You may assist with the installation of ICT infrastructure and you may provide support to the Station Communications Technical Officer with the networking infrastructure.
ITOs are employed during the summer season at Casey and Davis stations. Ship-based ICT support roles may also be selected from suitable ITO applicants.
The Australian Antarctic Program’s (AAP) vision is to ensure Antarctica is valued, protected and understood. Working with the AAP provides a unique opportunity to experience Antarctica and the Southern Ocean, while supporting world-leading science.
The AAP aims to support expeditioner growth, professionally and personally, with a focus on wellbeing. We strive to employ versatile, proactive and community minded people. Expeditioners will need to contribute to a small team and be resilient as they face the challenges of living in an isolated environment.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the job description document and link to more information on the application process below.
- The annual base salary (while in Australia) is $79,801 per annum
- Base salary + additional allowances when in Antarctica starts from $145,142 per annum.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
A security clearance is required for this role and applications will only be considered from Australian citizens.
To apply for this role you must have the skills and licences listed below:
Qualifications/licences (provide copies in your application):
- A current, unrestricted “C” class (manual) Australian driver’s licence.
- This position requires a Baseline Vetting security clearance. You will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level.
- Valid passport when travelling to the Antarctic or sub-Antarctic. The expiry date of the passport (and any relevant visa) must be at least 6 months beyond the planned end date of your intended stay in the Antarctic or sub-antarctic
- A current statement of attainment in the following units of first aid, or the ability to attain prior to commencement:
- Provide First Aid (HLTAID0011) must be valid for at least 18 months beyond the date of AAD commencement.
- Provide CPR (HLTAID009) must be valid for at least 6 months beyond the date of AAD commencement.
Skills and experience (within the last 5 years):
- Three or more years working on an IT Service Desk, directly providing on-site and phone support
- Experience with the following end user hardware and software:
- Desktop and laptop computers
- Computer Operating Systems
- Microsoft Office
- Antivirus, Anti-Malware, etc.
- Smartphones and Tablets
- Experience with installing and maintaining enterprise ICT equipment, including:
- Servers and enterprise storage
- Network equipment
- VoIP/unified communications equipment
- Proven experience using IT Service Management software
- A demonstrated client-focused approach, particularly in identifying and documenting clients’ requirements, maintaining ownership of issues and ensuring appropriate communication with the client. You will be experienced with conveying technical information to a diverse client base with varying levels of technical understanding.
- Ability to support a variety of computer and mobile operating systems, hardware and software. The Antarctic Division SOE is Windows but expeditioners may bring along any type of computer hardware and software.
- Ability to investigate, research and collaborate with team members to resolve complex ICT issues.
For general enquiries, please email the Hays Expeditioner Recruitment Team at email@example.com.
For job specific (technical or trade related) enquiries, or to discuss the role in more detail, please contact Shannon Mundy-Castle at firstname.lastname@example.org.