As an Information Technology Officer (ITO) you will provide information and communications technology (ICT) support services on station. You may assist with the installation of ICT infrastructure and you may provide support to the Station Communications Technical Officer with the networking infrastructure.
ITOs are employed during the summer season at Casey and Davis stations. Ship-based ICT support roles may also be selected from suitable ITO applicants.
The Australian Antarctic Program’s (AAP) vision is to ensure Antarctica is valued, protected and understood. Working with the AAP provides a unique opportunity to experience Antarctica and the Southern Ocean, while supporting world-leading science.
The AAP aims to support expeditioner growth, professionally and personally, with a focus on wellbeing. We strive to employ versatile, proactive and community minded people. Expeditioners will need to contribute to a small team and be resilient as they face the challenges of living in an isolated environment.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the job description document and link to more information on the application process below.
- The annual base salary (while in Australia) is $79,801 per annum ($3,059 per fortnight before tax).
- Additional allowances totalling $65,341 per annum are payable while working in Antarctica.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
For general enquiries, please use our contact form to speak to the Expeditioner Resourcing team.
For job specific (technical or trade related) enquiries, or to discuss the role in more detail, please contact the technical supervisor Sangeeta Lall (03) 6232 3420 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You must be an Australian citizen, Australian resident with work rights in Australia, or a New Zealand citizen. Please note: Jobs requiring a security clearance are only open to Australian citizens. Applications from persons who are not Australian citizens will usually only be considered where there are no suitable Australian applicants.
To apply for this role you must have the skills and licences listed below:
Qualifications/licences (provide copies in your application):
- A current, unrestricted “C” class (manual) Australian driver’s licence.
Skills and experience (within the last 5 years):
- Three or more years working on an IT Service Desk, directly providing on-site and phone support
- Experience with the following end user hardware and software:
- Desktop and laptop computers
- Computer Operating Systems
- Microsoft Office
- Antivirus, Anti-Malware, etc.
- Smartphones and Tablets
- Experience with installing and maintaining enterprise ICT equipment, including:
- Servers and enterprise storage
- Network equipment
- VoIP/unified communications equipment
- Proven experience using IT Service Management software
- A demonstrated client-focused approach, particularly in identifying and documenting clients’ requirements, maintaining ownership of issues and ensuring appropriate communication with the client. You will be experienced with conveying technical information to a diverse client base with varying levels of technical understanding.
- Ability to support a variety of computer and mobile operating systems, hardware and software. The Antarctic Division SOE is Windows but expeditioners may bring along any type of computer hardware and software.
- Ability to investigate, research and collaborate with team members to resolve complex ICT issues.