As a Senior Communications Technical Officer (SCTO), you will carry out routine and complex telecommunications maintenance. You will also make repairs and operate communications equipment. You may install or assist with the installation of complex telecommunications systems.
SCTOs are employed in winter jobs at Casey, Davis, Mawson and Macquarie Island. Summer or shorter winter jobs may become available.
Ship based IT and communication support positions may be drawn from successful SCTO applicants.
The Australian Antarctic Program’s (AAP) vision is to ensure Antarctica is valued, protected and understood. Working with the AAP provides a unique opportunity to experience Antarctica and the Southern Ocean, while supporting world-leading science.
The AAP aims to support expeditioner growth, professionally and personally, with a focus on wellbeing. We strive to employ versatile, proactive and community minded people. Expeditioners will need to contribute to a small team and be resilient as they face the challenges of living in an isolated environment.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the job description document and link to more information on the application process below.
- The annual base salary (while in Australia) is $92,076 per annum ($3,530 per fortnight before tax).
- Additional allowances totalling $63,437 per annum are payable while working in Antarctica.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
For general enquiries, please use our contact form to speak to the Expeditioner Resourcing team.
For job specific (technical or trade related) enquiries, or to discuss the role in more detail, please contact the technical supervisor Sangeeta Lall (03) 6232 3420.or via email email@example.com
You must be an Australian citizen, Australian resident with work rights in Australia, or a New Zealand citizen. Please note: Jobs requiring a security clearance are only open to Australian citizens. Applications from persons who are not Australian citizens will usually only be considered where there are no suitable Australian applicants.
Successful applicants for this position will be required to obtain a security clearance.
To apply for this role you must have the skills and licences listed below:
Qualifications/licences (provide copies in your application):
- An Open Cabling Licence with optical, coax and structured (O, C & S) endorsements.
- Cert III in Electronics and Communications (UEE30920) or comparable qualification.
- A Certificate of Competency in Perform Inspection (MEM15004B or PUAEQU001).
- A current, unrestricted “C” class (manual) Australian driver’s licence.
Skills and experience (at least one of the following within the last 5 years):
- Satellite communications systems and equipment with a strong understanding and practical maintenance experience, including BUC/LNB style, or other microwave communications systems.
- Analogue radio systems with a strong understanding and practical maintenance including installation and repair of HF mobile and fixed base. VHF Repeaters/Base stations, Mobile radios and portables. Testing and repair of antennas and associated cabling/feeder systems and familiarity of masts and associated hardware.