As a Carpenter you will maintain station buildings and field huts. This includes carpentry, painting, plastering, tiling, floor covering, glazing and steel erection work. Carpenters are also involved in the mixing and pouring of concrete foundations. They also manage the safe operation of the carpenters’ workshop and station hobby hut.
Carpenters work in either summer or winter jobs, and shorter winters may also be an option. Carpenters work at all three Antarctic stations as well as Macquarie Island.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the ‘How to apply’ section below.
- The annual base salary (while in Australia) is $65,019 per annum ($2493 per fortnight before tax).
- Additional allowances totalling $59,778 per annum are payable while working in Antarctica.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
For job specific (technical or trade related) enquiries, or to discuss the role in more detail, please contact the technical supervisor Chris Wilson (03) 6232 3274.
To be eligible for consideration you must be either an Australian citizen, a New Zealand citizen, or a resident of Australia with a valid visa granting appropriate work rights in Australia.
How to apply
- Read General information for applicants. This is an overview of the recruitment and selection process.
- Review the job description. This describes the job and specifies essential qualifications and experience. It also tells you what documents you need to attach to your application.
- Have your documents ready to attach (eg licences, qualifications and current CV/résumé). You must include these to be considered for the job.
- When you have completed steps 1 to 3 above, click ‘Apply Now’ to start your application.