As a Carpenter you will maintain station buildings and field huts. This includes carpentry, painting, plastering, tiling, floor covering, glazing and steel erection work. Carpenters are also involved in the mixing and pouring of concrete foundations. They also manage the safe operation of the carpenters’ workshop and station hobby hut.
Carpenters work in either summer or winter jobs, and shorter winters may also be an option. Carpenters work at all three Antarctic stations as well as Macquarie Island.
The Australian Antarctic Program’s (AAP) vision is to ensure Antarctica is valued, protected and understood. Working with the AAP provides a unique opportunity to experience Antarctica and the Southern Ocean, while supporting world-leading science.
The AAP aims to support expeditioner growth, professionally and personally, with a focus on wellbeing. We strive to employ versatile, proactive and community minded people. Expeditioners will need to contribute to a small team and be resilient as they face the challenges of living in an isolated environment.
For more detailed information about the requirements of the role and the selection process, please see the job description document and link to more information on the application process below.
- The annual base salary (while in Australia) is $79,801 per annum ($3,059 per fortnight before tax).
- Additional allowances totalling $65,341 per annum are payable while working in Antarctica.
- A generous employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4% will be paid in addition to salary and allowances.
- You will accrue recreation leave at the equivalent of 20 days per annum pro rata. Please note that recreation leave is not available in Antarctica, but will be paid out on return to Australia.
For general enquiries, please use our contact form to speak to the Expeditioner Resourcing team.
For job specific (technical or trade related) enquiries, or to discuss the role in more detail, please contact the technical supervisor David Brett 0437027203.
You must be an Australian citizen, Australian resident with work rights in Australia, or a New Zealand citizen. Please note: Jobs requiring a security clearance are only open to Australian citizens. Applications from persons who are not Australian citizens will usually only be considered where there are no suitable Australian applicants.
To apply for this role you must have the skills and licences listed below:
Qualifications/licences (provide copies in your application):
- A suitable trade certificate, technical certificate, apprenticeship or recognised equivalent in the building trade group such as Carpenter or Carpenter/Joiner
- A White Card (issued after May 2009), or the ability to attain prior to commencement.
- CPCCDE3014A Remove Non-Friable Asbestos, or the ability to attain prior to commencement
- A current, unrestricted “C” class (manual) Australian driver’s licence
Recent hands-on experience (within the last 3 years):
- Concrete technology, footings and foundations
- Structural steel erection techniques
- Site set-out techniques
- Current building practices and the Building Code of Australia
- Broad general experience within the construction industry.
- Maintenance practices